Ed Shaw Law - No Nonsense Legal Advice
Call 800-507-0352 To Schedule A Consultation
To Schedule A Consultation
Offices in St. Cloud and Brainerd, serving all surrounding areas
Coronavirus Impact and Assurance: Yes! We are still open for business!

As you are all aware, we are currently facing unique challenges due to the Coronavirus. While this is a serious crisis, it is important to keep it in perspective, and not allow it to prevent us from going about our business. We want to assure all of our clients that this office is prepared to serve your needs, regardless of what happens and how the virus affects Minnesota. In an effort to keep the office safe, we have stepped up prevention and sanitation measures in hopes to prevent disease transmission.

Because we are a paperless office, our entire staff is prepared to work from home if necessary. No matter what happens, we will continue to provide our clients with the highest quality legal services.  So far, not one client or staff member has become infected based on contact at this office and we will continue with safety protocols in an attempt to keep it that way. My office will continue to put the safety of our staff and you as our top priority. We do greatly appreciate your cooperation in conducting business in a safe fashion by utilizing current technology. Regardless of what happens, we will continue to take care of all of your legal needs.

Please rest assured, we will continue to take care of your legal needs in this challenging time, and your safety is our highest priority.

Please see our blog for more info on pandemic response.

Is it possible to modify a child support order?

| Sep 24, 2020 | Family Law

During tough economic times, it can be difficult to pay monthly bills. Nonetheless, if you have a child support order, failing to make regular payments may expose you to significant legal consequences. Fortunately, it may be possible to pursue a reduction of your support obligation. 

In Minnesota, either the paying or receiving parent may seek a support modification if the existing order has become unreasonably unfair. To determine if your order is unreasonably unfair, a judge is apt to consider certain factors. 

Financial circumstances

A material change in financial circumstances is the most common reason for requesting a child support modification. If any of the following apply to you or your child’s other parent, a judge may agree to rework your support order: 

  • A substantial increase or decrease in gross income 
  • An increase or decrease in cost of living 
  • An increase or decrease in medical expenses 
  • The receipt of public assistance benefits 

The child’s needs

With child support, financial circumstances are usually only part of the equation. The other part addresses the needs of the child. If your child has a change in educational, medical or other needs, you may be successful with your modification request. 


Finally, it is always possible to modify a child support order if a child completes the emancipation process. That is, if your child legally emancipates, you can probably convince a judge to free you of your child support obligations. 

Whether because of financial circumstances, the child’s needs or emancipation, a support modification may be possible. Because modifications are not retroactive, though, you may need to act quickly both to provide for your child and protect your finances. 

FindLaw Network